Sermon Outline - The Effects of Sin, Genesis ch.4 vv.1-26
|Preacher||Rev. Maurice Roberts, Inverness|
|Sermon Title||The Effects of Sin|
|Text||Genesis ch.4 vv.1-26 |
Links to Bible chapters open in a new window.
- You cannot make sense of life if you do not read the Bible.
- Because evil is a shocking thing.
- This chapter tells us about the effects of man's sin.
SIN: ITS EFFECTS ON MAN'S WORSHIP: v.1-5
- Worship outside the Garden of Eden.
- "In process of time" - meaning (v.3).
- God's "respect" (v.4-5). Explain.
- What is acceptable worship?
APPLICATION: Courage needed to shun idolatry.
SIN: ITS EFFECTS ON MAN'S NATURE: v.5-7
- Cain's anger - how do we explain it?
- It illustrates the "enmity" (3:15).
- The soul and body of the sinner affected: v.6.
- The remedy proposed by God: v.7.
APPLICATION: Sin, like fire, burns with fury.
SIN: THE CRIME OF MURDER: v.8-15
- The nature of sin: the go to the utmost.
- The murderer will answer to God.
- The punishment of Cain.
- Capital Punishment?
APPLICATION: See how sin matures in one generation!
SIN: SOCIETY ORGANISED AGAINST GOD: v. 16-18
- Cain's departure "from the presence of" God: v.16.
- The two "halves" of the human fall.
- Cain's ungodly line here given.
- Picture of society without God.
APPLICATION: This picture is, sadly, to be seen all around us today.
- Godless societies derive from godly ones.
SIN: COMMON GRACE STILL GIVEN: v.19-24
- How the term "Common Grace" is used.
- Lamech: bigamy now in the world.
- God's outward gifts to men.
- The cruelty of Lamech: v.24.
APPLICATION: See how God's mercy is shown in the midst of men's rebellion.
SIN: SAVING GRACE STILL GIVEN: v.25-26
- The birth of Seth - "another seed".
- The godly line now beginning.
APPLICATION: The importance of family religion.
- The beginnings of public worship to be seen in v.26.
- See how realistic the Bible is.
- God's church is called on to live in such a world.
Download This Sermon Outline
This sermon outline can be downloaded in HTML format so that it can be viewed off-line using an internet browser, and many other programs. (As you can read this page, you can view HTML format files on this computer.)
Download this sermon now - to download please right click and select "save target as" or "save link target as". Please note: It is strongly advised that you use this link to download a sermon, rather than simply saving the current page.