Bible Sermons Online
Sermon Outline - Weeping for Christ, John ch.20 vv.11-16
|Preacher||Rev. Maurice Roberts, Inverness|
|Sermon Title||Weeping for Christ|
|Text||John ch.20 vv.11-16|
Links to Bible chapters open in a new window.
This chapter speaks of the Resurrection of Christ:
- AMAZING: dead -> alive. What a Saviour!
- NECESSARY: He had no sin/died for us/once the work finished, He rose.
- REWARD: state of humiliation -> exaltation.
- PROOF: declared to be the Son of God.
OBSERVE: We speak of the resurrection as something well-known; but the 1st disciples did not expect it! (See v. 9).
WE SEE THAT WOMEN OFTEN SHOW MOST LOVE TO CHRIST
- It is not Peter, etc., who came first but Mary and the other women.
OBSERVE: They loved the Lord - after Sabbath, they brought spices - not stopped by fear of soldiers or the great stone.
- Mary was not important in the eyes of people of her day - not a preacher / nor of High Priest's family. But she gets this place of honour here.
Why is her story told here?
- she loved Christ: Love is the main thing.
- her love is seen (first / stayed alone at the tomb / weeping)
- Many good things we see: order / knowledge / sound teaching / diligence and zeal. Good.
- But do we not need more feeling? Some tears of love for Christ?
- You: are you here and seeking Christ like Mary?
CHRIST KNOWS THOSE WHO ARE SEEKING HIM AND HE WILL REVEAL HIMSELF TO THEM
There were many who in Jerusalem hated Christ at this time:
OBSERVE: Jerusalem was seething with hatred for Christ.
- The religious leaders had accused Him.
- The soldiers had crucified Him.
- One of the Disciples had betrayed Him.
- The people's cry: "His blood be..."
- They had even bribed the Roman soldiers to tell a lie about Christ's resurrection.
- But here was a woman who loved Him!
And God here has a special honour -
APPLICATION: You may be here with much ignorance. You may be confused. But do you love Him?
- she is an example to us all here.
- though ignorant re. the Resurrection - hoping for nothing more than to see His dead body and show Him some honour.
- confused too (the angels - not impressed! / "gardener"!).
- Christ reveals Himself to her: "Mary".
APPLICATION: He will reveal His love to all such.
- He knows His own sheep - called by NAME.
- He reads the HEART (Man sees the outward things - He sees the heart).
- What sort of person? She was born again / justified / sanctified / washed in His precious BLOOD.
YOU SEE HERE HOW READY CHRIST IS TO SHOW KINDNESS TO HIS PEOPLE THAT LOVE HIM
APPLICATION: Christ answers the proud roughly (see the Pharisees). But He speaks sweetly and gently to the meek.
- He loves all who love Him:
- He came from heaven for them
- He died on the cross for them
- He rose for them
- He interceedeth for them now.
- You do not need to be in doubt:
- "Am I worthy to come?"
- "Is He not too high to see me?"
- "Perhaps He will not receive me."
- If He showed all this pity to Mary He will show it to you too - if:
- you, like Mary, are on His side
- you, like Mary, have repented
- you call Him Lord and Saviour
- you have a broken heart
THERE IS ANOTHER RESURRECTION COMING
- Christ's is the first Resurrection: but there will be also the LAST Resurrection.
OBSERVE: All will be there then - before Christ as Judge:
- graves opened
- when trumpet sounds
- we shall be changed
Herod / Pilate / soldiers / High Priest / Judas Iscariot and all.
So Christ said to Caiaphas: "Ye shall see the Son of Man coming..."
- What will He then say to Mary?
APPLICATION: So to you all who love Him.
- NOT a preacher / scholar / apostle...
- BUT one who loved Him
- She had a good heart, a heart of faith, hope and love
- "Come, Mary, into the glory".
Christ will receive all who seek Him and He will bless them with grace and glory.
This sermon outline has been downloaded from http://www.bible-sermons.org.uk