Sermon Outline - Faith Exemplified in Moses, Hebrews ch.11 vv.24-29
|Preacher||Rev. Maurice Roberts, Inverness|
|Sermon Title||Faith Exemplified in Moses|
|Text||Hebrews ch.11 vv.24-29 |
Links to Bible chapters open in a new window.
- Here we see faith at work in Moses.
- The Bible teaches often by examples.
- Our attention is drawn to the way faith acts.
FAITH REFUSES TO BOAST IN OUR NATURAL PRIVILEGESv.24:
- the story of his upbringing in Egypt
- the honour he might have enjoyed
- the refusal to set store by it
APPLICATION: Worldly honour is of no account to those who have faith - Moses valued rather the spiritual privilege of being born a Jew.
OBSERVE: "come to years": Children's professions of faith must be tended by time.
FAITH PREFERS TO SUFFER WITH GOD'S PEOPLE RATHER THAN TO BE AT EASE IN THIS WORLDV.25:
- the story in Exodus - very remarkable
- it identifies with the Lord's people
- the Christian life involves suffering
- the pleasures of sin are soon over
APPLICATION: There is no getting to glory without some suffering - never choose the "easy way out" but do what is right.
FAITH IS NOT OFFENDED BY THE CRITICISM OR SCORN WHICH COME ON US IN THIS LIFEv.26:
- "the reproach of Christ" (in the OT!)
- an amazing choice (the riches of Egypt are proverbial: example: H. Carter)
- the world criticises us for what we believe and for being different
APPLICATION: It is a mark of grace to suffer this scorn
FAITH BELIEVES IN THE HEAVENLY REWARD AND HAS INWARD CERTAINTY THAT IS SUPERIOR TO ALL EARTHLY RICHESv.26:
- "reward" to be given as "recompense".
- the earthly good does not compare
APPLICATION: When the gospel declines people get their priorities all wrong.
ILLUSTRATION: The way this has happened in Highlands.
FAITH POSSESSES A STRANGE COURAGE IN THE FACE OF GREAT DANGERS BECAUSE IT SEES BEYOND WHAT IS VISIBLE TO THE NAKED EYEv.27:
- the story is amazing: 10 plagues...
- See Exodus 10:28-29
- The hardness of Pharaoh's heart is in contrast with the courage and faith of Moses
- Faith is an eye that sees God
APPLICATION: The remedy for fear of man is here.
ILLUSTRATION: The tribute paid to John Knox.
FAITH IN ALL AGES, HAS AN EYE TO CHRIST AND TO THE SPRINKLING OF HIS BLOOD AS OUR SURE PROTECTION FROM THE WRATH OF GODv.28:
- The Passover was a figure of Christ.
- This can be proved from many scriptures,
- The Passover was the OT equivalent to the Lord's Supper. One replaces the other.
- See how God pays men in their own coin: Egypt killed the Israelite children.
APPLICATION: We are safe only when sprinkled.
ILLUSTRATION: The girl who feared.
FAITH WILL CARRY US THROUGH EVERY DIFFICULTY AND OPEN UP A WAY OF ESCAPE ALL THROUGH LIFEv.29:
- Exodus 14: an amazing event!
- Take the Judgement Day (Matthew 25)
- So too in the day of death.
OBSERVE: When religion declines, this distinction is blurred.
ILLUSTRATION: funeral services (Mr. MacDonald)
- These tests of faith are given to us for self-examination. How do we stand?
- Our feelings are no safe guide to us as to our state before God. The issue is: Do we behave as Moses did - or not?
- If you do, then you are among the people of God and you should "keep the Passover" with them.
- It has an obvious application to the Lord's Supper.
Download This Sermon Outline
This sermon outline can be downloaded in HTML format so that it can be viewed off-line using an internet browser, and many other programs. (As you can read this page, you can view HTML format files on this computer.)
Download this sermon now - to download please right click and select "save target as" or "save link target as". Please note: It is strongly advised that you use this link to download a sermon, rather than simply saving the current page.