Bible Sermons Online
Sermon Outline - The Syro Phenician Woman, Matthew ch.15 vv.21-28
|Preacher||Rev. Maurice Roberts, Inverness|
|Sermon Title||The Syro Phenician Woman|
|Text||Matthew ch.15 vv.21-28 |
Links to Bible chapters open in a new window.
- A unique journey by Christ. Why?
- One of His sheep was there.
- He finds all His sheep - all so different.
OBSERVE: It is a very interesting event.
GOD SENDS TROUBLE INTO OUR LIFE TO DRIVE US TO CHRIST
* A very sensitive affliction: her daughter vexed by the devil.
Explain: demon-possession - but other forms are very common in our day (exx.)
- This misery sent as a blessing to this woman. Blessings are sometimes in disguise.
APPLICATION: Can you believe that for yourself?
- This is God's way: to drive us out of our complacency and easy attitude to Him.
Aug: "I had been undone..."
ILLUSTRATION: The sad case of worldly men - they never have "changed". Explain.
- The elect are interrupted in life
ILLUSTRATION: Brownlow North - felt very ill.
These sudden events shake them out of their ease - like a dog barking to drive us away from our dangerous state in sin and condemnation.
- It is possible to misuse our troubles.
Never say, "Why me?"
Say, "What is God saying by this?"
APPLICATION: Miseries are often sent to do us good. See this woman here.
CHRIST DOES NOT ALWAYS HEAR OUR PRAYER IMMEDIATELY
* v.23 : "not a word." She was being placed on trial - not refused but tried by Him.
- Why should Christ so deal with us?
- A test of our sincerity. "Fait-weather"
- A test of our faith. So she got praise.
- A test of our election. Others turn away.
APPLICATION: Have you really given up seeking?
- God will have us learn re prayer:
- He is Lord of all circumstances
- He is gracious., but never our servant.
- It is good for us to suffer delays.
ILLUSTRATION: It intensifies her prayers (v.25)
- There is a "set time" for prayers to be answered.
APPLICATION: Perhaps you need reminding of this.
- "Hope deferred"
APPLICATION: Should we need be unswerving in our prayers
for blessing for our unsaved friends?
- is hard to bear, as Scripture says
- but it is "a tree of life" at last
- how sweet when delays are over!
THIS WOMAN TEACHES US HOW TO COME TO CHRIST SO AS TO GET HIS BLESSING
*Notice how she approaches the Lord. She got her prayer answered. She is an example:
- She sought it with all her heart
- Some are half-hearted/double-minded (Explain).
- "Nothing matters to me like this".
- Think how precious God's grace is!
APPLICATION: Half-hearted seekers never find.
- She was not discouraged by delay
- Delay is hard to bear when we are desperate.
- Illustration: Augustine: "Why not TODAY?"
- God has a time for blessing us.
APPLICATION: Have you felt God's delays?
- She was not put off by hard doctrine
- The priority of the Jews - they "children"/we "dogs"
- Election, etc. puts some off the Gospel
- But real seekers press on to get Christ
APPLICATION: Take God's blessing on His terms, not yours.
- She had a humble attitude to herself
- Her striking reply: "I am no better than a dog".
- She abased herself: this is rare - this is difficult - this is contrary to our heart.
- She "conquered" Christ by humility.
APPLICATION: The only way to "master" Christ is to put yourself low in submission.
Illustration: The TIDAL WAVE
- She got the blessing she sought
- She got Satan cast out
- Satan needs to be cast out of our young people today.
This sermon outline has been downloaded from http://www.bible-sermons.org.uk